The day hundreds of millions of Chinese have been waiting for has come: 8.8.08! I can only imagine the spectacular atmosphere waiting for me at Xi Dan, where I´ll be be following the opening ceremony on one of the huge public screens with likely a few ten thousand locals - but from my experience in July 2001 when Beijing was awarded the Games I can expect quite something. Back then literally millions spontaneously took to the streets in a feeling of national pride and happiness. Despite or maybe because of the recent controversies around the Olympics these feelings are stronger than ever. In this I´m judging from what I´ve seen and heard in China in the last weeks. This is definitely gonna be a night to remember!
PS: And not just China is watching: BBC World just reported 4bn will be watching world wide - WOW!